Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Weird Habit No. 5: Violent Movies? I Can't Even Handle Sitcoms.

I didn't realize I was a Highly Sensitive Person until my daughter Anne was diagnosed with the condition. In fact, I had no idea it was a recognized condition. But, after Anne got the label, I took the HSP self-test. I answered yes to all but four of the questions. One of the questions was: I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows. That I do. In fact, I even try to avoid situation comedies in which people are embarrassed or are put in emotionally painful situations. Recently, I started watching The Terminal. It was just too upsetting to watch the Tom Hanks character's ordeal. Being of a practical bent, Kathleen asked me if I'd rather wash the kitchen floor. I washed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not highly sensitive according to that test, but generally I don't watch TV and haven't for over twenty years. My wife loves movies and isn't bothered by violence on them, usually. She watches them in bed with a laptop and headphones. I won't tell her about your wife's suggestion.

Patry Francis said...

Even a lot of the "comedies" my teenagers rent at the video store freak me out, and send me looking for a floor to wash. A very calming, meditative activity--floor washing.